Monday, July 10, 2006

Finding Subud

In my early twenties I was searching for some sort of meaning to my life. Through a series of unusual circumstances I met someone who mentioned that he was in something called Subud. From what he described it sounded fascinating.

The elements that appealed to me were that the Subud receiving seemed to be a direct contact with the higher spiritual powers without a person needing a guru or teacher as an intermediary, and that one was able to connect with the guiding force in one's own life spontaneously and receive direction and guidance through one's own inner self. He said Subud is not a religion and is not meant to replace one's own religion. People of all major religions are in Subud. If anything, Subud seems to provide a deeper understanding and appreciation of the inner content of a religious teaching.

I was directed to go to a meeting hall at a certain time and met some people who told me more about their experiences of being in Subud and receiving what they called the 'latihan kedjiwaan' which I found out was an Indonesian word that simply meant spiritual exercise or training. There was a three month waiting period before one could begin this 'exercise'. Although I was skeptical at first, I found that I felt quite comfortable around these people and began coming and sitting outside the hall while men did the 'latihan' (women did it in a separate room). I could hear strange sounds coming from the room, sometimes melodious, sometimes raucous, and at other times I heard deeply moving chanting in unheard of languages. While listening to these sounds I found I was in a quiet attentive inner state such as I had never experienced before. Over a few weeks I noticed that no matter what inner state I was in before I came, that when I left, my feelings were much quieter. Sometimes I would be upset about happenings of the day or slights received from work but as I sat outside that room they all melted away and a vast feeling of quiet and inner peace took their place. That was amazing to me and gave me the feeling that I had found something truly unusual and important! At the end of my waiting period I was able to begin this process and have now been in Subud and practicing the latihan for over forty years. I have been astounded and amazed by the various experiences which came to me in that time! I realized that my expectations of a spiritual life before coming into Subud were nothing compared to the reality of what I had found through the direct experience of receiving through the latihan.
That is what Subud gave to me and what it offers to anyone who is sincerely seeking a deeper meaning to one's spiritual life.

There are no monetary fees asked of people who want to join this process, just a waiting period to decide if Subud is one's right direction. After that it is up to the individual to take this path or not. There is no outside pressure to join Subud. Being in Subud and receiving the latihan are intensely individual experiences. No one person will experience exactly the same as another, therefore all explanations are from the viewpoint of the individual. What I describe above is a small glimpse of my own experience in Subud.

The following articles and links on this page contain contact and other information about the Subud organization.

I am also happy to attempt to answer questions through email at bothellj@gmail.com.

Thank you,
Rachman